RECOUNT - A ROBBERY NEXT DOOR


QUESTION: You stayed up to study for your examination and when you were going to sleep, you heard
some noise from your neighbour’s house. You looked out and you saw a mysterious guy
trying to break into your neighbour’s house. Write a recount about the whole incident.

When writing your recount:
• write about one thing that you have learnt from the incident.
• add any other relevant information
• write in not less than 150 words


It was 11 pm on Tuesday night. I was burning the midnight oil for my science test the next day. The whole house was quiet and everyone had hit the sack. As my eyes were getting heavy, I decided to pack up my things and call it a night. As I was crawling under the sheets, I heard a soft crash.

            Thinking it was my imagination I tried to go to sleep. Suddenly there was a loud THUD of something heavy hitting the floor. Convinced I wasn’t dreaming, I peered out my window, as the sound seemed to emanate from my neighbour’s unit next door.

I was shocked to see a figure in black tip-toeing stealthily along the side of the house. He seemed very tall and in his hand he held a long machete! I noticed the glass window had been broken and a big bag of tools lay under it. The man crawled into the house without making a sound. My blood ran cold.

Realising that a robbery was in progress, I rushed to my parents’ room and jerked them awake. After hastily explaining the situation, my father rang up the police, while my mother tried ringing the neighbours to alert them.

Within ten minutes, I noted with relief the sirens in the distance. There was still no sign of the thief. I wondered if my neighbours were awake. The police arrived and cornered the house. My neighbour, Mr. Ramli ran out with his wife and kids. By a stroke of luck, they had managed to lock the robber up in one of the rooms.

Soon the police handcuffed and hauled out a very disgruntled criminal and put him in the police car. My parents explained how I had alerted them about the noise. The police praised me for my quick thinking and bravery. I felt relieved that no one got hurt in the process, and the thief got what he deserved. One unforgettable lesson that I learnt is, it never pays to steal. No matter how slick you think you are, justice will always prevail.

Ø  WHEN ?
Ø  WHERE?
Ø  WHAT?
Ø  BEGINNING



Ø  RISING ACTION
Ø  SUSPENSE



Ø  RISING ACTION
ØMORE OBSERVATION
Ø  DESCRIPTION


Ø  CLIMAX
Ø  ACTION






Ø  FALLING ACTION



Ø  RESOLUTION
Ø  ENDING
Ø  FEELINGS
Ø  LESSON LEARNT

IDIOMS AND PHRASES 
  1. burning the midnight oil - study or work till late at night
  2. hit the sack - go to sleep
  3. call it a day/night - decide to stop for the day / stop doing something for the night
  4. blood ran cold - become really afraid/scared
  5. stroke of luck - fortunately/ luckily


VOCABULARY 
  1. emanate - to come out from somewhere
  2. stealthily - quietly, sneakily
  3. hastily - quickly
  4. hauled - pull or drag 
  5. disgruntled - unhappy
  6. prevail - prove to be more powerful



No comments:

Post a Comment

ESSAY WRITING

DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY : The Night Market

  The Night Market One of the most interesting places in Malaysia is the night market. You may visit and experience the night market yoursel...